Monday, February 15, 2016

5 Chef Couples Share the Dishes That Made Them Fall in Love


When chefs date, one thing is for sure: Dinners at home are going to be great—especially in the early stages, when they’re trying to impress each other. Here, five chef couples reveal what they cooked for each other on early dates.

Greg Denton & Gabrielle Quiñónez Denton, Ox in Portland, OR
Greg: “The first thing I remember cooking for Gabi was a roasted whole lobe of foie gras with figs. It was at a party, and I wanted to impress her. It worked!”
Gabrielle: “The first thing I cooked for Greg was rice and beans. I remember putting so much care into making them perfect, but then he had to rush back to work so the beans were undercooked. Oh well.”

Gabe and Katherine Thompson; dell'anima, L'Artusi, Anfora and L'Apicio in New York City
Gabe: “One of the first things that Katherine made for me was lamb chops. Although she’s a pastry chef, she is an accomplished cook, too. The chops were cooked at a super-low temperature and were perfectly pink and juicy throughout. Absolutely delicious!”
Katherine: “The first time Gabe cooked for me, he made a simple butter lettuce salad with a lemon cream vinaigrette, olives and hazelnuts. I think I fell in love with Gabe over that dish. It was the perfect balance of delicate leaves next to a tangy, flavorful dressing. Many years later, this dish is one of our most popular at L’Artusi, and we had to include it in our cookbook, Downtown Italian.”

Matt Danzer and Ann Redding, Uncle Boons in New York City
Matt: “I cooked her dry-aged rib eye with foie gras butter.”
Ann: “Tom Yum Koong—Matt was sick. It’s something quick and easy that I’ve been making at home since I was a kid.”

Evan and Sarah Rich, Rich Table in San Francisco
Evan: “I made breakfast.”
Sarah: “Cannelloni. My family has the old Time/Life book series about foods from all over the world. The book on Italy has a delicious cannelloni recipe in it that was always something my family would cook together on special occasions. In an effort to make a good impression on Evan, I cooked that. It must have made a good impression, because he has no memory of it.”

Stuart Brioza and Nicole Krasinski, State Bird Provisions in San Francisco
Nicole: “Stuart cooked me a life-changing bowl of popcorn. He crushed a clove of garlic, threw it into the melting butter, added a bunch of dashes of Tabasco and after pouring it over the popcorn he grated a ton of Parmesan cheese. I seriously had never had anything like that.”

Article and images sourced from http://www.foodandwine.com/blogs/2015/02/11/5-chef-couples-share-the-dishes-that-made-them-fall-in-love?xid=soc_socialflow_facebook_fw

No comments:

Post a Comment