Monday, November 21, 2016

So You Want To Stay Fit While Traveling

How one writer tried and failed to do so in three (and a half?) cities

by Bella Sovmiz




You diligently pack your sneakers into your carry-on bag. You dutifully check to make sure the hotel has a "fitness center." You sincerely plot a daily jogging route through the park at your destination. So — how has that been working out for you? Probably a little something like this....

I find it most difficult to maintain any form of healthy living when traveling. I'm very diligent with my gym routine at home and stick mostly to a healthy diet. But the minute I check my luggage, I throw caution to the wind and simply don’t seem to be able to contain myself, even if I mean well and plan for success. Let’s see how I did in 2016, shall we? 

France

Destination: The Alps

The plan: Skiing to tone legs and yoga at a wellness retreat.
What really happened: Without even getting into après ski and all that it entails, I can tell you that I failed.

via Facebook

You may have already read how my first ski trip went. I thought I would lose weight and tone up just because of the effort it took me to put on the skis, let alone barrel down the beautiful snowy slopes. But despite the excellent workout that skiing offers and the wonderful morning yoga classes at Chalet Rosière, I dropped the ball in the diet department of the trip. I became acquainted with raclette and figured out that French wine from a supermarket in France is way better than French wine back home. Turns out skiing is an excellent pastime, especially if you treat yo’ self after each and every session with a hearty meal and several glasses of Bordeaux in the hot tub. Unsurprisingly, this routine does not really help one stay in shape.

My advice: By all means get yourself a good ski instructor, but make sure your eating plan is on point, too. Chalet Rosière has introduced catered detox packages this season, and other retreats are bound to follow suit. I've learned that I would be smart to trust my diet to the professionals while traveling.

The Netherlands

Destination: Amsterdam

The plan: Cycling may way around town and daily visits to the celebrity-favored gym.
What really happened: Despite laps in the glorious pool and lots of bicycling, I barely managed to stay in shape.

via Website

The luxurious Conservatorium Hotel is a landmark of the city and has hosted the likes of Rihanna. Most importantly, down in its cavernous belly there is a truly state-of-the-art health club, the Akasha Holisting Wellbeing Centre, hidden away from prying eyes. This is where the affluent and beautiful of Amsterdam come to swim, stretch and run in peace. As an avid gym goer, I had to try it myself, going between TRX classes and high-tech weight stations. Outside, we hopped on the hotel's free bikes to explore canals, the museum square, the Jordaan area — and the carbs.

My advice: Plan your meals, because temptation is everywhere. I mean, they even have waffle popsicles! Had I stayed at the hotel during mealtimes, my newly vegan self could happily indulge in exquisitely healthy creations, of which the brasserie had plenty. And meat eaters would surely appreciate the lean cuts of Wagyu beef in Schilo van Coevorden’s Taiko.

Belgium

Destination: Brussels

The plan: Working out with a view.
What really happened: What can I say? Carbs found me once again.

via Website

In my experience, hotel gyms are either ultra-sleek facilities fit for NASA training or basement cupboards with an ancient treadmill. The Hotel in Brussels looked promising. Have you ever worked out on the 23rd floor, overlooking the de facto capital of Europe? You should try it. It’s fantastic. The problem is that right next to our suite was the private bar with snacks and champagne on tap. You’d think a person whose closet overflows with fitness clothes could show self-restraint, but you would be wrong. And let's not even talk about what happened once I actually left the hotel. Needless to say, the land that quite possibly gave the world French fries abounds with options.

My advice: Listen to your trainer/the internet on this one: You really can’t out-excercise a poor diet. Stay away from excessive food and drink and follow the cheat meal policy when traveling. 

United Kingdom

Destination: London

via Facebook

The plan: As I pack my suitcase, I wonder if Hyde Park and its running trails carry enough appeal to pack my trainers once again. I may do it just for the experience, but then I know too well that once I find myself in the food hall of Harrods, amid the Christmas decor of the world’s most famous department store, I will give in. I will mutter “We only live once” and run off to explore all the vegan delicacies I know await me in one of my favorite destinations in the world.

What really happened: TBD, but ... Harrods.

My advice: Traveling should please all your senses. It just so happens that my sense of taste is not one I wish to deny, either.

Article and images sourced from http://www.savoteur.com/world/so-you-want-to-stay-fit-while-traveling?utm_medium=email 

No comments:

Post a Comment